Saturday, March 31, 2012

Alpha

During the month of March I have been participating in an Alpha course at my church. Before coming to England I had heard of churches running Alpha courses, but I didn't actually know what an Alpha course was all about until recently. Alpha courses are designed for people who are non Christians, but want to learn more about the basics of Christianity and what being a Christian means. However, there are people who are Christians, that are a part of the course to help facilitate groups in discussions and also be there as a mentor for people as they begin their faith journey.

Each Wednesday night, about 30 of us meet in the church hall to have a meal together, listen to a speaker, and have small group discussions over the talk. We gather around the table for a meal and then engage in teachings and discussions about Christianity, just like Jesus did with his disciples. I think that it is a great idea that each week we all have a meal together, because it helps build community amongst the group. Also, the discussions provide an opportunity to explore a little bit deeper on the topic discussed. The discussions have personally really helped me to confirm what I believe in and why I have chosen to be a Christian.

Having the opportunity to participate in this course has been really cool for me. Since August, I have come a long way with my relationship with God. I am a lot more confident about my Christian faith and sharing it with others. Many of the things that are taught in the Alpha sessions are reinforcing what I have already learned in Sunday school and Confirmation classes that I attended at my home church when I was younger. However, without having this foundational teaching I would not feel confident to be challenged about my faith, and I believe this helps to strengthen my relationship with God.

I have enjoyed taking the Alpha course and helping guide others along on their faith journey. There have been a few people who have been a part of the Alpha course who have now decided that they want to become Christians. It is amazing to see the change that has been made in these people since they have decided this. They are now regularly attending church, making better lifestyle choices, looking into being Baptized in the near future, and just seem filled with new life. Seeing the impact that God can have on people's lives is incredible. It has really showed me how powerful the love of God is.

No comments:

Post a Comment