Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Naturally Supernatural

Recently I attended a conference called Naturally Supernatural with a few other youth workers. The main focus of this conference was to learn more about the Holy Spirit and the importance of allowing ourselves to be open to Him on a daily basis. I was a little nervous to attend this conference because I knew that I was going to be taken out of my comfort zone for the four days of the conference.

At the conference, we spent a lot of time waiting on the Holy Spirit to do what He wanted to do. We would wait in silence until the Holy Spirit started to move and rest upon people. I didn't know what to expect, this is the first time that I had ever waited on the Holy Spirit. At first, I felt very uncomfortable, especially because I was nervous that the Holy Spirit was going to rest on me and make me do things like shake or fall to the ground crying, which I didn't want happening to me. I believe that the Holy Spirit is present in my everyday life, but I am not sitting around waiting for Him to rest upon me. Some of the people that I was with could tell that I was nervous and anxious about the Holy Spirit resting on me. They told me to just relax and that the Holy Spirit is a gentleman and won't force anything upon me that I didn't want to happen. After hearing this, I allowed myself to relax and to take in more of what was happening around me.



Each time after worship was the time when the Holy Spirit would be invited to come and rest upon people. At first, the church was silent and after about 2-3 minutes, people would start showing signs of the Holy Spirit resting upon them. Some of these  signs include: rocking back and forth, shaking, singing, and speaking in tongues. Once the Holy Spirit started resting upon people they would be invited to the front for prayer. People of the congregation would be invited to the front to pray for these people, especially if they felt that God wanted to share a word or picture with one of them. I was surprised to see how many people would go to the front and pray for a complete stranger. Then I realized that even though we view ourselves as strangers, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ. God loves each and everyone of us the same and through his love we are able to love and pray for one another.

Each church community that I have been blessed to be a part of has been a very strong support system for me. There have been times that I have forgotten this, but the church community has always been there to remind me that I am not alone and that I am loved. We are all different and unique in our own ways. There are people who will never be able to understand one another, but when we all come together to worship and praise God that doesn't matter, we are able to put our differences aside for this time. The love of God is lived out in the church community and this really stood out to me at this conference.


Even though I was out of my comfort zone throughout the conference, I was comfortable with it. I was never pushed into doing anything that I didn't want to do, but I was still able to spend time with God. Also, this conference helped me to grow in my relationship with God and gave me a better understanding about the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment