Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Poor Will Not Always Be With Us

This past weekend, I went to Eastbourne for a youth work conference. It was an amazing weekend with great sessions and inspirational speakers. One of the speakers was an American named Scott Todd. Scott has a passion for working to end extreme poverty in the world, and to make people more aware of what they can do to help end extreme poverty. One of the ways in which he has done this is by helping with the creation of 58: The Film. This film confronts the brutality of extreme poverty and shares with the viewer those people who live out the True Fast of Isaiah 58 and create stunning new possibilities for the future. 58: The Film allows the viewer to see the relentlessly loving God at work through His Church bringing hope to the darkest challenges of our day. As I was listening to Scott, I felt so inspired. I want to be a person who can make a difference like him. Then I thought to myself, only in my dreams do I have the money to start a non-profit organization or travel around the world donating my time and money to help improve the lives of those in extreme poverty. These thoughts were stopped when Scott spoke these words, "Even something as small as providing a small amount of funding to a child through the Compassion Organization or buying fair-trade goods does make a difference and has an impact on the goal of ending extreme poverty". This was a great reminder to me that there are little things that can still have a big impact. Since I have been here there are times where I feel like I need to be doing more. I am thankful for the amazing people that I work with here, who assure me that I am making a difference, even if there are times when I feel like I am not. I have learned that even though I can't see the impact that I have had here, doesn't mean that I have made no impact on the community of Bookham Baptist Church.

Sponsoring a child in extreme poverty will definitely make an impact and change that child's life. Our youth group is now looking into sponsoring one or two children in the New Year. We want to show the youth that they can make a difference in the world and we want them to be inspired to take action.

Just a fun fact for you! Did you know that in the 1981 52% of the world's population was living in extreme poverty and today it is 26%. In a generation, we cut the percentage of people living in extreme poverty in half! This just goes to show that we can be the change and make a difference in the world!


Below I have posted a talk by Scott Todd. Please take a look at it! It is very eye opening and inspirational!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uZV90fsoCY

I know that this post consists of many random thoughts, but I just thought I would share with you the many things that are on my mind! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment